Today’s meeting of the City Council has just ended and I’m delighted to report that the Aberdeen City Centre Masterplan and Delivery Programme has been agreed unanimously by the elected members.
In one sense this is the successful culmination of over a year’s work by many Council officers working in partnership with BDP and their team of consultants but on the other hand we must recognise that the hard work starts now as we move forward to deliver the projects that will make the 20 year vision a reality.
But what an exciting opportunity there is before us now to work with partners, stakeholders and the people we serve to make a real difference to Aberdeen and the wider North East.
- agreed the Aberdeen City Centre Masterplan and Delivery Programme;
- recognised that while the Aberdeen City Centre Masterplan and Delivery Programme establishes the framework for the regeneration of Aberdeen’s city centre, each project will be subject to detailed scrutiny and the normal development control processes;
- noted the impact the City Centre Masterplan will have in informing all relevant policies, strategies and plans either for which the Council has a statutory responsibility or which the Council itself agrees and implements;
- agreed that officers will undertake a review of the Council’s financial strategies in relation to the capital plan, the Common Good and asset acquisition and disposal in light of the City Centre Masterplan and Delivery Programme and report to Committee with recommended changes as necessary;
- agreed in principle the interventions set out in the City Centre Masterplan and Delivery Programme, noting that due diligence will be undertaken in relation to the financial, legal and all other implications on each project or programme of activity contained within the City Centre Masterplan that it falls to the Council to deliver with the results of this due diligence being reported to Committee ahead of any decision being taken to proceed;
- agreed that the Chief Executive will report to Council at its meeting on 19th August 2015 on the establishment of an in-house officer team to facilitate the implementation of the Delivery Plan;
- agreed the Chief Executive will report to Council on 19th August 2015 on the governance arrangements for the establishment of an Aberdeen City Centre Masterplan Reference Group bringing together citizen, public sector, business, academic and funder representatives;
- agreed that the Chief Executive will report to the Finance, Policy and Resources Committee on 15th September 2015 a proposed programme of enabling works and activities;
- agreed that regular update reports on the Aberdeen City Centre Masterplan and Delivery Programme will be brought to Council; and
- agreed that the Aberdeen City Centre Masterplan and Delivery Programme be shared with all relevant partner organisations.
So, plenty to do.
Congratulations and thank you to everyone who has played a role to date, delivery starts now.